UT Arlington Faculty: Victoria Chen, Bill Corley, Jay Rosenberger, Melanie Sattler
Collaborators: Michael Chang, Seoung Bum Kim, Clint Carter
Ph.D. Students: Zehua Yang (2004), Chivalai Temiyasathit (2008), Panaya Rattakorn (2009), Neelesh Sule (2009), Wei-Che Hsu (2011), Passakorn Phananiramai (2011), Bancha Ariyajunya (2012)
Funding: U.S. EPA 2000-05, Luminant Energy 2006-08, Luminant Power 2007-10, NSF 2008-12
Topics: Metropolitan ozone pollution control, Spatial & temporal modeling of air quality data
Description: The Clean Air Act empowers the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to set the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) on harmful air pollutants. There are six criteria pollutants regulated by NAAQS (http://www.epa.gov/air/criteria.html): ozone, particulate matter, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, and lead. Our research studies spatial and temporal patterns in air pollutant concentrations and seeks to identify the most critical sources, locations, and time periods to target for control actions. Many metropolitan regions, including Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth, currently violate the federal ozone pollution standard set by the EPA. For the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, we work with the CAMx (Comprehensive Air Quality Model with extensions) model used by state decision-makers at the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality, and we are studying potential ozone control strategies provided by the North Central Texas Council of Govenments, as part of the State Implementation Plan.
- Ariyajunya, B., Y. Chen, V. C. P. Chen, and S. B. Kim (2017). “Data Mining for State Space Orthogonalization in Adaptive Dynamic Programming.” Expert Systems with Applications, 76, pp. 49–58. COSMOS Technical Report 16-02.
- Hsu, W.-C., J. M. Rosenberger, N. V. Sule, V. C. P. Chen, and M. L. Sattler (2014). “Mixed Integer Programming Models for Selecting Ground-Level Ozone Control Strategies.” Environmental Modeling & Assessment, 19(6), pp. 503–514. COSMOS Technical Report 12-03.
- Afotey, B., M. L. Sattler, S. P. Mattingly, and V. C. P. Chen (2013). “Statistical Model for Estimating Carbon Dioxide Emissions from a Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicle.” Journal of Environmental Protection, special issue on Air Pollution, 4, pp. 8–15.
- Pala-En, N., M. L. Sattler, B. H. Dennis, V. C. P. Chen, and R. L. Muncrief (2013). “Measurement of Emissions from a Passenger Truck Fueled with Biodiesel from Different Feedstocks.” Journal of Environmental Protection, special issue on Air Pollution, 4, pp. 74–82.
- Phananiramai, P., J. M. Rosenberger, V. C. P. Chen, S. B. Kim, and M. L. Sattler (2011). “A Mathematical Optimization Technique for Managing Selective Catalytic Reduction for Coal-fired Power Plants.” Energy Systems Journal, 2(2), pp. 171–188. COSMOS Technical Report 10-04.
- Sule, N. V., V. C. P. Chen, and M. L. Sattler (2011). “A Decision-Making Framework for Assessing Control Strategies for Ground Level Ozone.” Atmospheric Environment, 45, pp. 4996–5004. COSMOS Technical Report 09-04.
- Afotey, B., M. L. Sattler, S. P. Mattingly, and V. C. P. Chen (2009). “Statistical Approach to the Development of a Microscale Model for Estimating Carbon Dioxide Emissions from a Light Duty Gasoline Vehicle.” In Proceedings of the 102nd Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference, Detriot, MI, June, Paper #427.
- Yang, Z., V. C. P. Chen, M. E. Chang, M. L. Sattler, and A. Wen (2009). “A Decision-Making Framework for Ozone Pollution Control.” Operations Research, 57(2), pp. 484-498. COSMOS Technical Report 05-04.
- Sule, N. V., M. L. Sattler, and V. C. P. Chen (2008). “Assessing Control Strategies for Ground Level Ozone.” In Proceedings of the 101st Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference, Portland, OR, Paper #492. (refereed)
- Kim, S. B., C. Temiyasathit, S.-K. Park, V. C. P. Chen, M. L. Sattler, and A. G. Russell (2008). “Characterization of Spatially Homogeneous Regions Based on Temporal Patterns of Particulate Matter 2.5 in the Continental United States.” Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 58(7), pp. 965-975. COSMOS Technical Report 07-01.
- Temiyasathit, C., S. B. Kim, S.-K. Park (2008). “Spatial Prediction of the Ozone Concentration Profiles.” Computational Statistics ” Data Analysis, 53, pp. 3892-3906. COSMOS Technical Report 08-04.
- Kim, S. B., C. Temiyasathit, S.-K. Park, and V. C. P. Chen (2007). “Spatio-Temporal Data Mining for Air Pollution Problems.” In Encyclopedia of Data Warehousing and Mining, second edition (J. Wang, ed.), Hershey, PA: Idea Group Reference, pp. 1815-1822.
- Yang, Z., V. C. P. Chen, M. E. Chang, T. E. Murphy, and J. C. C. Tsai (2007). “Mining and Modeling for a Metropolitan Atlanta Ozone Pollution Decision-Making Framework.” IIE Transactions, Special Issue on Data Mining, 39, pp. 607-615. COSMOS Technical Report 04-06.