UT Arlington Faculty: Victoria Chen, Bill Corley, Jay Rosenberger, Shouyi Wang, Ardeshir Anjomani, Arpita Bhatt, Caroline Krejci, Atefe Makhmalbaf, Melanie Sattler, Kate Hyun
Ph.D. Students:Surachai Charoensri (2011), Pin Kung (2012), Piyush Kumar (2013), John Dickson (2014), Shirish Rao (2021), Bahareh, Nasirian
Funding: U.S. EPA 2017-18, IRP 2018-19, CTEDD 2019-22
Topics:Sustainability assessment, Urban planning, Multi-objective optimization, Design and analysis of computer experiments, Multi-layer decision-making
Description: Sustainability assessment requires consideration of the economic, environmental, and societal impacts of decisions, a.k.a., “people, planet, profit” (http://www.economist.com/node/14301663, 2011). In achieving more sustainable solutions, there is a need for mathematically rigorous, flexible, and computationally-practical methods for assessing multiple performance goals. In many domains, there exist computer models or software tools for studying and assessing decisions. Our research takes advantage of these existing knowledge tools and integrates optimization with design and analysis of computer experiments to enable sustainability assessment of decisions.
- Rahman, M. M., Y. Zhou, K. J. Rogers, V. C. P. Chen, M. L. Sattler, and K. K. Hyun (2021). “A Comparative Assessment of CO2 Emission Between Gasoline, Electric, and Hybrid Vehicles: A Well-To-Wheel Perspective Using Agent-Based Modeling.” Journal of Cleaner Production, 321, 128931. COSMOS Technical Report 20-09.
- Sattler, M. L., A. H. Bhatt, K. K. Hyun, B. Nasirian, A. Behseresht, M. Chakraborty, and V. C. P. Chen, (2021). “Development of a Cost Optimization Algorithm for Food and Flora Waste to Fleet Fuel (F4).” In Proceedings of the 2021 INFORMS Conference on Service Science, Virtual.
- Kumar, P., J. M. Rosenberger, and G. M. D. Iqbal (2016). “Mixed integer linear programming approaches for land use planning that limit urban sprawl.” Computers and Industrial Engineering, 102, pp. 33-43. COSMOS Technical Report 15-01.
- Kumar, P., J. M. Rosenberger, and A. Anjomani (2013). “An Integer Programming Model for Controlling Urban Sprawl.” In Proceedings of the 2013 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, May.
- Dickson, J. F., J. M. Rosenberger, V. C. P. Chen, P. Kung, and A. Robinson (2013). “Optimization to Select Energy Efficient Building Options.” In Proceedings of the 2013 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, May.
- Robinson, A. P., V. C. P. Chen, S. Ferreira, and P. Kung (2012). “A Study of Multivariate Modeling for a Multiple-Stage, Multiple-Objective (MSMO) Decision-Making Framework for Green Building,” In World Energy Engineering Congress, Proceedings of the Association of Energy Engineers, Atlanta, GA, November.
- Robinson, A. P., V. C. P. Chen, and S. Ferreira (2012). “Optimization, Systems Engineering and High-Performance Sustainable Building.” In Tech Connect World 2012, Proceedings of the Clean Technology & Sustainable Industries Organization, Santa Clara, CA, June.
- Kung, P., V. C. P. Chen, and A. P. Robinson (2011). “A Multivariate Analysis of Green Building Options.” In Proceedings of the 2011 Tech Connect World Clean Technology Conference & Expo, Boston, MA, June. (abstract and presentation only)
- Kung, P., V. C. P. Chen, and A. P. Robinson (2011). “Multivariate Modeling for a Multi-Stage Green Building Framework.” In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology 2011, Chicago, IL, May.